Friday, May 21, 2010

Durham UK

Today I went on an amazing adventure with my new friend SOPHIE! Sophie's mom Nikki is a friend of Aunt Laura's. They live in Durham UK! This is a picture of Sophie and I in front of the Durham Castle that we visited today!.


I learned that even though the UK and USA both speak English, we say some things very differently.

Sophie is 11 and she is in "Year 6" they don't call it 6th Grade like we do. Next year she will go to "Comprehensive School" which to us is "High School" And this made me giggle, they call "MATH" MATHS! They have really old mailboxes, but they call them "post boxes" This is a picture of one of the "post boxes."
We spent the day walking around "Durham Cathedral and Castle" it was a very beautiful day, and we even enjoyed a picnic! The Cathedral is very famous here and is VERY OLD! They started building it in 1093, and Sophie's mom told me that the really cool thing is that it is very close to the same as it was back then!


There are some graves around the castle, MAN they are lots bigger than the ones I've seen in the USA!This is me standing outside of the castle, Sophie and her mom asked a nice guard if I could take a picture here.
This is the River that surrounds the Castle and the Cathedral on three sides. I'm standing on one of a few bridges to get this cool picture.

This is a famous door knocker on the sanctuary! If people in medieval times would want to go inside to be protected from something or someone outside, they would knock using this knocker. It was so loud that it would wake the two watchmen who slept in a room above the door.

I really had a great time with Sophie and her Mom! They showed me how much fun you can have in a day, and showed me a really cool castle and cathedral! Thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment