Saturday, May 29, 2010

THE USS ENTERPRISE!!!

I had the pleasure of going on an adventure with another amazing person serving our country! Commander Michael Bobulinski of the United States Navy.

CDR Bobulinski explained that he is a proud American living in Virginia Beach, VA, and he displays the stars and stripes outside his house each day. I wanted to start my trip to the ship by waving hello with the flag in the background.

I got buckled up for the trip to the ship, but was a little uncomfortable in such a large chair.

This is CDR Michael Bobulinski . He has been serving our country in the United States Navy for 18 years. He is a Naval Flight Officer, and is currently stationed aboard the oldest nuclear aircraft carrier in the Navy, the USS ENTERPRISE. Here we both wait for her to park and get tied up to the pier in Norfolk, VA. You can see the aircraft carrier behind CDR Bobulinski.

We walked out on the pier to see the ship up close.

After the ship was tied up, and we were allowed to go aboard, I wanted to go up and see the flight deck. The aircraft carrier is a huge floating airport for military aircraft. I was very surprised to see a helicopter on the flight deck.

After looking over the flight deck, I wanted everyone to see the big airports landing area. Airplanes get launched off the front of the ship in a very short distance. It is better than a roller coaster ride.


As we walked to the back of the ship, into the area where the aircraft land, I found another helicopter and another American Flag.

I wanted to see how high up he could go, so we walked up several flights of stairs or ladders as they are called on the ship, and looked out a window on the Admiral's Bridge or Flag Bridge (which is more than 9 floors above the water...which is as tall as a skyscraper). Here I am looking at the front of the ship out of a window.



The walk up the ladders to the Admiral's Bridge was very tiring, so we took a break and looked at another aircraft carrier parked nearby. This one is the USS GEORGE H.W. BUSH, CVN-77. It is one of the newest aircraft carriers in the fleet and is named after...that's right, the 41st President of the United States.

I had a really awesome day with CDR Bobulinski. I'm very excited I got to visit this really cool ship! He said to tell you all that if you have any questions to send them to Aunt Laura and she will send them along to him.

Thank you to CDR Bobulinski for serving, it was a pleasure meeting you!

1 comment:

  1. Stanley, the pleasure was all mine. I am glad you enjoyed your visit. If you are ever in the Hampton Roads, VA area again, let me know, and I will take you to see the jet airplanes on the Master Jet Base of Oceana Naval Air Station.

    ReplyDelete