Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tagging Whales in Antarctica !




I have made it to one of the coldest and coolest places on earth! The ANTARCTIC SEAS! I am just off the coast of Antarctica on a ship that is tagging whales! Aunt Laura was so excited for me to learn more about the Ocean and it inhabitants, she plans on taking me Scuba diving soon but also said that it won’t compare to this experience. The Oceans are becoming my favorite place too.

I learned that tagging whales is a really neat thing that scientist do so they can watch and learn how the Whales move around, how they eat, what sounds they make and how they live.

A group of Researchers from DUKE University in North Carolina work on this project and were willing to take me on a quick ride with them. WOW it was cold, soon as you went outside; you could see ice on everything. You could also see Ice on my new friends! I’ve been to a lot of beaches & oceans lately, but I’m not sure I want to swim in this one!

They have this really cool map online where you can see where the ship is! We are moving right along the coast of Antarctica!
My new friend and chief tagger, Ari Friedlaender allowed me to help tag a humpback whale with a suction cup called a D-tag. Look at all the ice on the pole?


Since it was so cold, they told me I didn’t have to be in every picture and they allowed me to use some of their really cool pictures! Check out the website for more!

This is a beautiful picture of Antarctica

This is a picture of a Waddle SealThis is a picture of a Whale spotted in the distance:
This is a picture of a Gentoo Penguin


The Nicholas School of the Environment Expedition has their own weblog too.. You can follow them, just like some of you are following ME!!! http://www.nicholas.duke.edu/antarctica/2010 You can see what they do on a daily basis and check out the rest of their really cool pictures!

Thank you Meagan Dunphy-Daly and Ari Friedlaender and the rest of the crew! Had an amazing, and very special time! Maybe someday I will go to college to be a marine biologist and will join the expedition! Whatever I do when I grow up though, I will always remember how special the Oceans are!

No comments:

Post a Comment